Friday, June 25, 2010

All Quiet on the Western Front

All Quiet on the Western Front (Mass Market Paperback) This is one of those books that I have intended to read for a long time. It tells the story of a young German soldier who is in the trenches of World War I. This book is a must read for anyone with a desire to understand the war. I have learned about the battles and some of the horrors of the Great War in my history classes. Reading this book is taking a front row seat into the mind and experience of someone who was there. The author's perspective of the young German solider is a statement about why men fought and how they came to feel that war was nothing but a horror that people in power orchestrated. It is also a message about the strong bond between soldiers. I was very moved by this book and I highly recommend it!

My favorite quote:

...these voices, they are more than motherliness and more than fear; they are the strongest, most comforting thing there is anywhere: they are the voices of my comrades. 

No comments:

Post a Comment