Tuesday, April 6, 2010

The Host

The Host. Stephanie Meyer. 2008. Little, Brown and Company. 619 pages.
“I knew it would begin with the end, and the end would look like death to these eyes. I had been warned.” The majority of humanity has been conquered an inhabited by an alien life form. These enemy souls have traveled the universe becoming a part of the beings they encounter. When the Wanderer inhabits the body of Melanie Stryder she is not prepared for the consequences. Most species disappear willingly, allowing their bodies to be controlled forever, but not Melanie. Her strong will forces her enemy to encounter a power she has never felt: love. Melanie’s love for her family and friends drives her alien invader to become part of her life and experience her love and her fight for freedom. Can anything stop the power of human love?

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I found it very intriguing to read a story from the perspective of the “enemy” and feel empathy towards a figure that should be hated. While reading I was not exactly sure where the story was going or what I wanted to happen. In the end I was pleased with the resolution. This is also a pleasant read if you are looking for an interesting read without anything vulgar. Stephanie Meyer has a very imaginative approach to her books and I have not been disappointed with her works. I recommend this book to anyone who enjoys sci-fi/fantasy reads. 

1 comment: