Saturday, April 17, 2010

Jane Eyre

Jane Eyre. Charlotte Bronte. Penguin Classics. 576 pages.

This classic has been on my "to read" list for a LONG time. Most everyone knows the basic idea.... Jane Eyre is a pitiful orphan. Her late uncle's terrible wife treats her as a despised servant and sends her to a girl's orphanage. She grows up a solitary and somewhat tragic figure until one day she takes a position as governess at Thornfield. Enter Mr. Rochester. With Rochester and the comfort of Thornfield Jane begins to develop her first positive relationships and falls in love for the first time. Alas there is secret trouble at Thornfield and Jane must face a few demons before she is able to realize dreams and go on with her life. This Gothic classic is full of strong emotions, rich characters and brings you to a world that is not soon forgotten.

I LOVED Jane Eyre. I was surprised to discover this because I had previously been discouraged with the story because it is depressing in points. I enjoyed the emotion of this book. It actually made me despair and laugh and be anxious in turn. The resolution of the story was very fitting and I left this book satisfied with the journey. Jane Eyre has a different appeal than Pride and Prejudice. It is more intense and dramatic. I especially loved the character of Mr. Rochester. I finished my reading of this story by watching the newer BBC version of the book. It was great and I have added a link above.

1 comment:

  1. I only got around to reading this last year and loved it! I wished I had read it as a teenager, though. Oh well, it's never to late . . .

    ReplyDelete